Because of the outdoor nature of the forest(!) most socials happen in the warmer months!
Walk, Meditation and Social in the Forest
Next Event: To be Decided
Events During November to March are very weather dependent so may be announced at short notice (max. a
few days ahead). They will be announced here and on the following meetup group:
Meet: Theydon Bois Tube station (Zone 6) at 10.30am
returning by 6pm
Update Friday 12 Oct:
The forest is very muddy in patches and whilst we will do our best to avoid the worst parts please wear decent shoes (see below). It could rain (the forecast for Sunday changes every time I look!) and may be windy in places so please dress appropriately (warm layers with a waterproof top layer). See you on Sunday at 10.30am. Ankur
The Forest is a wonderful place to connect, not just
with nature, but also with each other and yourself. We will meet at Theydon Bois Tube Station (Zone 6 - you can use Oyster) which is just 35 minutes from Bank, at
10.30am and return to the same station by 6pm. Please wear decent footwear, and bring whatever you want to eat and drink, plus something to sit on for the
meditations as it may be damp (a plastic bag is sufficient).
We will walk about 15km (10 miles) and take in a variety of types of forest.
- Epping Forest is the largest public open space in the London area at almost 6,000 acres. It was originally designated as a Royal Forest in the 12th Century and used for hunting by Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. As well as being a popular area for recreation and enjoyment it is also of national and international conservation importance with two thirds of it being designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Special Area of Conservation and contains Iron Age earthworks which are about 2,500 years old. It is famed for its oak trees many of which are over 300 years old. It was preserved ‘for the people for all time’ by an Act of Parliament in 1878.
- The walk will be about 15 km (10 miles) - We will head into Epping Forest encountering a variety of densely wooded areas, some open spaces and maybe wildlife.
- Depending on conditions, there will be two or three 20 minute meditations during the day using whatever the forest brings us in terms of sight, sound and touch to focus our attention.
Food & Drink
- Please whatever you want to eat and drink. You may also want to bring something to sit on, even if it is just a plastic bag, as the forest floor may be damp.
- Theydon Bois Tube Station (Central Line, Eastbound, Zone 6 - you can use your Oyster Card) - takes just 35 mins from Bank. You can park (for a small fee) in the station car park or for free nearby. Please get there by 10.30am. We may be able to wait for a few minutes but cannot wait longer than 10.45am. I will be outside the station main exit with a ‘Meetup’ sign - there is only one exit.
Times - We will meet at 10.30am. We will return to the same station by 6pm.
Mobile phone - On the day you will be able to contact me on 077 345 33827.
- Clearly this event is dependent on the weather! There is natural cover under the trees but no (man-made) shelter. Check this site on the evening before/morning of the meetup for any updates especially if it looks like it may rain, or if the preceding days have been very wet.
- Again this depends upon the weather, but in any case it is likely to be muddy in places. Some of the time we will be walking off-track on uneven ground so walking boots with ankle support are recommended.
- There are toilet facilities approximately halfway round, but otherwise they are provided by nature! There are also toilets at Theydon Bois Tube Station - Men before you leave the platform, Ladies just after the ticket barrier.
Disclaimer Whilst all reasonable care is taken, all activities are undertaken entirely at the participant's risk and
no responsibility can be taken for any loss or injury of any type, physical or otherwise, suffered by any participant. By taking part each participant
accepts responsibility for his or her own belongings, safety and well-being. If in doubt please seek medical advice before participating.